A little more work
Next I wanted to take a look at the brake pads. Like I said before the description in the Clymers was different that the actual brake caliper. To take out the pads I had to take off the caliper. Like I suspected, the pad was completely worn away and the brake was running metal to metal- not good. Here is my naked wheel.
Then I switched it up and reinstalled the starter motor and the shift lever.
Remember the mess of wires I was talking about on the front of the bike. Well the brake cable was wrapped around electrical wires that were wrapped around the throttle cables and clutch cable. First thing I had to do was take the brake off completely. This made my life a lot easier. With the brake line out of the way I reran most of the wires so they were clear of each other and didn't catch on anything. Here are a couple of shots of the in-progress mess. I didn't take a picture of the finished result but trust me it's a lot better.
I made the decision that I am going to get a new brake line instead of cutting the old one. I measured for the ideal length of the new line. For a new stainless steel brake line and new banjo fittings I would be spending less than $60. This will be a cleaner set up and will look cool on the bike. I also have a list of many other parts but I am going to hold off until I get the new tire on and move the bike. Check back soon because I just got my jacket and my vintage metalflake helmet is in the mail. I will keep you guys posted with all the happenings.